I found the definition off of psychiatry.org
Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:
Depression (major depressive disorder) is a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act. Fortunately, it is also treatable. Depression causes feelings of sadness and/or a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease a person’s ability to function at work and at home.
- Feeling sad or having a depressed mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Increase in purposeless physical activity (e.g., hand-wringing or pacing) or slowed movements and speech (actions observable by others)
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide
For me, I wasn’t aware of how depressed I really was until I started seeing my therapist. He noticed I have a lot of self hatred and very low self esteem. I knew I had a problem because my energy was very low. If I didn’t have the girls, I would sleep all day. I also lost interest in leaving the house. I also get very frustrated and irritable very easily.
I’m trying to work through this with just therapy because I don’t do well on many phyc medications. For some reason, they cause more side effects than what the medication is supposed to treat. I’ve been in intensive therapy 3 times a week, 2 hours each session.
I still have a lot to learn about the phyc world and myself too. For 3-4 years, I lost myself. I was focusing on my family instead of taking time for myself. Its easy to get lost in your own mind, so please know your not alone. If its not on straight, its not a fun place to be. Please join our community and thank you so much for reading!